Comcast Xfinity Home Security Review
Xfinity Home Security Overview
|Comcast Corporation is better known as one of the largest Internet, telephone, and cable network provider in the US. Comcast Xfinity has also branched out into home security. The new line of products is called XFINITY Home Security System, and includes a wide variety of security products ranging from motion detectors and sensors to complete home automation.The company has an online portal for their existing customers, where customers can log in, make payments, change (upgrade or downgrade, or add services to) their package, and can contact customer services. Through the portal, customers can also arm and disarm their home security system. An iPhone app is also available for existing customers through which they can control their security systems.|
Comcast Xfinity Home vs ADT Security vs FrontPoint Security
I think you’ll find that when you compare Comcast Xfinity Home vs ADT Security that ADT Security comes out on top. ADT has been in business much longer than Comcast and has over 6 million home security customers. They have been through all of the growing pains that Comcast Xfinity will face in the coming years. ADT Security has the largest network of professional home security installers and their installation is less expensive. If you are debating whether to go with Comcast Xfinity or ADT Security, we recommend ADT Security. Take a look at the below side-by-side comparison of Comcast Xfinity Home vs ADT Security vs FrontPoint Security. If you are looking for a solution with no installation fees, we highly recommend FrontPoint Security.
Comcast Xfinity has thousands and thousands of customers, but those numbers are for their Internet, cable, and telephone services. The Xfinity Home solution was recently released in 2012.
In this review, we will discuss all of the packages offered under XFINITY Home Security System, and will provide the pros and cons of purchasing their home security services.
Xfinity Home Security Products and Services
The 24/7 security plans are divide into three categories. The Basic package includes 1 motion detector, 1 wireless keypad, 2 window/door sensors and one touch-screen controller with security functionality. The basic package is about $29.95 a month, excluding the cost of the equipment. For an extra $4.95, a warranty to replace damaged security equipment can also be added.
The Preferred package is $39.95 a month, and includes additional features such as 1 extra window/door sensor, and complete access on the touch-screen controller. The option to include warranty for an additional $4.95 holds true for this package as well. There is also an additional option to include video monitoring for an additional $4.95 a month.
Home automation is also an included perk of this package. There are no video cameras included in this package, so video monitoring would also cost the customer an additional fee for the camera.
The Premier package is available for $49.95 a month and includes 2 lighting controllers, 1 thermostat, and 2 cameras that can be used indoors and/or outdoors. Video monitoring and home warranty plans are included in this package.
Standalone products offered by XFINITY Home Security Systems include video cameras, keychain remotes, glass break sensors, smoke detectors, curtain movement sensors, water sensors to detect flooding, and carbon monoxide detectors. Indoor cameras, power-line device, remote sirens, and motion detectors are also available as add-ons.
Another set of packages include a Protect Pack valued at $249.95. The Protect Pack consists of 1 motion sensors, 4 window/door sensors, and 1 keychain remote to arm and disarm the alarm. The Eco Pack is available for the same price and includes 1 thermostat and 2 lighting/appliance controllers. View Pack includes 2 lighting/appliances controller, and 2 indoor/outdoor cameras, it is available for $399.95.
Xfinity Home Security Pros
- – Complete home automation is available.
- – The products are wireless.
- – Video streams can be sent to your phone or email address, you may also get a live video stream from your security cameras anywhere in the world.
- – Email and text alerts are included in the all packages.
- – Products and services can be bundled with your existing Comcast account. If you already are a Comcast customer, getting home security is simply a matter of upgrading from your existing services.
Xfinity Home Security Cons
- – The products and services are very expensive when compared to the competitors. Although the packages are price within the same range as many of the big name players in the security industry, but the services being offered are fewer. The user also has to pay for additional equipment. All the mentioned factors put together makes the XFINITY Home Security System an expensive choice.
- – Xfinity home security system is limited to residential customers. We have included this as a disadvantage because this excludes a very large market of business customers.
- – Several competitors are offering carbon monoxide detectors, smoke detectors, temperature sensors, medical pendants, panic buttons, and several additional features in their home automation package. Compared to them, Xfinity’s home automation is rather limited.
- – The official website lack information about the procedure to follow as soon as the alarm is activated. It does not feature their central monitoring station either.
- – The services come with a three year contract.
With Comcast’s wide network throughout the nation, adding home security to the list of services seems like a natural step. The home of tomorrow as envisioned by many is supposed to be completely automated, with the TV, Internet, appliance and temperature control, telephone, and security all bundled together. Comcast is offering such services by including XFINITY Home Security Systems to their already vast range of products.
However, companies that specialize in home security are offering a greater price/value ratio with their products.
We realize that this is a new endeavor by Comcast, and we are hopeful that they will improve on this product to cater to a larger market.
Xfinity Home Security Video
NOTE: For the latest information on the Comcast Xfinity home security offering please visit the official Xfinity Home website at http://www.comcast.com/home-security. The Comcast Xfinity information was taken via the Comcast Xfinity website and via their customer chat as of March 2013.
Xfinity Home In the News